July 15, 2011

July Garden

This is our garden today.


















This was our garden a month ago.
















So much can change in just a few weeks!  The tomato's took off and grew like crazy this month...but really mostly in the last two weeks of 75+ degree days we have had.  
This year we have planted:
  • Tomato's, 12 plants (various heirlooms) + a bunch of volunteer husk tomato's (ground cherry)
    • All started inside in February, some from seeds I saved last year
  • Yellow scallop squash, 4 plants
  • Zucchini, 2 plants
  • Acorn Squash, 4 plants
  • Winter squash, 2 plants
  • Volunteer pumpkins growing alongside the tomato's....from our compost (let this be a lesson about what NOT to put in your compost)
  • Brussel Sprouts - new for me this year
  • Spinach
  • Hot Peppers, 3 plants
  • Lettuce
  • Kale
  • Bush beans, 2 varieties
  • Pole beans, 2 varieties
  • Cucumbers, 3 plants....all that survived.
  • Sugar pod peas
  • Artichoke - new for me this year
Perennials:
  • Asparagus....already harvested
  • Rhubarb, harvested twice so far
  • Raspberries, just starting the harvest
  • Strawberries, about to wrap up production
Root Veg:
  • Two varieties of beets
  • Two varieties of carrots
  • Garlic and shallots - multiple varieties planted last fall
  • Leeks planted last fall
Herbs:
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Thyme
  • Mint
  • Calendula
  • Borage
  • Chamomile
I prefer to plant heirloom and open pollinated seeds.  There are many local sources for this type of seed (NicholsTerritorial) and I also save seeds from my favorite heirloom plants year after year.  I obtained one of my favorite tomato's (Flame, small orange, sweet tomato) from a woman that hosted a seed saving workshop I attended years ago.  I grow them every year from seeds I have saved.  In fact, plants that have adapted to your particular backyard ecosystem are more likely to survive any problems that may occur.

Unfortunately, I did not get the potatoes planted this year as I had planned (the chickens had shortened my harvest last year, and I had not found a good new location).  They thought the burlap bags of nice soil along the patio made good dust bathing.  
Attempt to protect what is left of the potatoes last year from ravenous chooks
Next year plans: build a greenhouse to plant sweet potatoes and melons!

What is in your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment