April 30, 2012

Rhubarb Curd

The best part about Spring is asparagus and rhubarb.

I harvested my first crop of rhubarb this weekend, over two pounds. (2.15lbs, to be exact.  One of my homesteading goals for this year is to track the amount of food we produce.)

My favorite rhubarb recipe is no longer an option to my gluten free husband - Suzanne McMinn's Rhubarb Bread and I discovered I still have some rhubarb left over from last year in the freezer, so I decided to try something new.  I fell across a recipe for rhubarb curd.  I love lemon curd and rhubarb is another favorite of mine for its tart flavor, so I was naturally attracted to the idea. This is a really simple recipe:

Rhubarb Curd

1 lbs. rhubarb
1/2 cup honey
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
6 egg yolks
4 Tbsp. butter 


Wash and chop rhubarb into 1/2 inch chunks. There is no need to peel, but if your stalks are particularly large, you might trim off any tough parts. Stir the rhubarb and 1/4 cup of honey together and let sit for about 10 minutes. Place in a medium sized pot with about 1/4 cup of water and cook over low heat until you can no longer see whole pieces. Turn off the heat and let cool to room temperature. Blend to a smooth puree if you desire (this will remove any remaining little stringy bits, but it isn't necessary). 







In a double boiler whisk the egg yolks, remaining honey and salt. Whisk until well combined and warm. Add about 1 cup of the stewed rhubarb and the lemon zest. Keep stirring until the mixture is warm again. Check for taste and add the rest of the pureed rhubarb. Remove from heat and stir in the butter chunks.

If you are not using the curd immediately, let it cool to room temperature and then store refrigerated for up to a week.  I am going to store mine in the freezer.























If you want inspiration for more rhubarb recipes, check out this treasure trove of rhubarb recipes at Punk Domestics.  I will be looking into the rhubarb liqueur to use the frozen rhubarb cubes from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment