July 5, 2012

July Garden

Wow, the last two weeks have flown by. I am not sure what happened, but it is July already!

The homestead is shaping up for summer production:


















Summer squash are already 4" high.  The cucumbers are starting to grow on their bamboo trellis.  The potato's are huge and spilling over their bin.  The broccoli, brussel sprouts and cabbage are thriving.  Second seeding of carrots and beets are coming up.  The tomato's are growing, but slowly.  I have a small black bug issue, more on that later.

The hugelkultur is finally starting to look like I planted something.  Although I have some carrots and beets growing in the lawn....results of the multiple chicken marauding adventures.


































There are beets, carrots, kale, arugula, chard and a few volunteer squash and ground cherry tomato's growing haphazardly... I just planted three more kinds of kale and chard and installed the soaker hose.

































Moved the netting over the blueberries.
Because of this:


































The birds have been munching on all the berries as they ripen!  But not anymore.
















The herb garden is thriving finally.  The borage is attracting pollinators as expected.  Chamomile, sage, oregano, fenugreek and calendula are growing nicely.






























My pear tree is doing well, there are about a dozen little pears growing.  Which is a lot less than what started....I am still not sure what happened to them.  Squirrels?

































The girls enjoyed all the weeds I threw over into their run. Everyone of them kept their eye on me today waiting to see if I threw them any raspberries.  Which of course I did, along with a few unlucky earth worms.

The raspberries are going nuts.  I have collected over eighteen pints of them so far, and there are SO MANY still ripening every day.  My mom is coming over tomorrow to pick some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment