July 22, 2013

Our all natural medicine cabinet

We have nearly succeeded in replacing most all of our body products with all natural products that we make ourselves.

My bathroom essentials:

































The lip balm and herbal healing balm recipes have been posted here before, see this page.

The healing balm is my go to balm for everything from minor cuts and abrasions to neutralizing my skin allergic reactions to healing the dry and cracked skin on my feet in the summer. The bonus is that the essential oils in the balm smell really good.

The hand and body lotion has evolved over the years, but for now this is my favorite recipe:

Mel's Favorite Lotion
1/3 cup sesame oil (has a natural SPF)
2 Tbsp. 
emulsifying wax
1/3 cup hot water
1/2 tsp. citric acid (add to heated water, helps as a preservative)
1 Tbsp. Aloe gel (add to mixture after it starts cooling down)
15 drops essential oil of your choice

In a pyrex measuring cup combine the olive oil and emulsifying wax and microwave (or heat on the stove in a metal pot filled part way with boiling water) until it is all melted. (to about 155 degrees)

Microwave (or heat on stove) water for 1 minute or until about 120 degrees. While that is heating up, add the essential oil into my melted wax/olive oil mixture.  Add citric acid to heated water.

Then pour the hot water mixture into the wax/olive oil mixture and watch it turn milky white. Add aloe vera gel now.  Stir often until it cools to at least 110 degrees. Then pour the hot lotion into wide mouth pint size jars and let cool overnight.


I am still looking for a deodorant recipe that is perfect. I found that baking soda tended to irritate my skin, so I use arrowroot powder in lieu of baking soda. I have heard that bentonite clay may work better for keeping your underarms dry, and if it works well I will post that recipe later. For now, we are using this one:
Pollo Loco Deodorant
3 Tablespoons shea butter
5 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
A few drops of Vitamin E oil
Lemon Essential Oil (natural antibacterial) or whatever you prefer for a scent
Melt all the ingredients (except the oils) and give it a good stir. This only took about 30 seconds in the microwave or can be done on the stove in a double boiler. Then add the oils, stir again, pour it in a jar, then place it in the fridge to set. This recipe fills about two- two ounce deodorant tubes. You can find them in any online supply stores. Elements Bath and Body or SKS carry the clear ones that I prefer.

Since I cannot seem to live without my mascara, I plan to tackle making my own make up next. Stay tuned.

Calendula flowers soon to be made into infused oil

No comments:

Post a Comment