October 28, 2011

Occupy My Urban Homestead

The Occupy Wall Street movement has spread into almost every major urban area. The movements' detractors attempt to portray it as not having a clear agenda or mission, but it is not about a single issue and it is about more than just policy. It is about quality of life. It is about our collective values as Americans, as occupiers of this planet.  I came across an article in Grist, Occupy the Pasture, pointing out that most rural Americans are also part of the 99%. The article noted that growing your own food is one of the changes we can make as individuals to take our food source issues out of the hands of large corporations and their influence on government.  The article made me realize that I am supporting this movement even if I have not pitched my tent in the park downtown.

I am one of the lucky ones right now to have a full time job, and I have not taken any time to be part of the Occupy Portland movement physically.  However, I feel I support their efforts and I appreciate that they are bringing the political and economic issues we are currently facing, and the reasons why, to the forefront of more Americans lives.  People are talking about it.  The media has no choice but to address it.  These are accomplishments.

Most of us are struggling financially and have been struggling now for years.  My family's struggle is part of what has pushed me to find more things I can grow and make myself.  What I can do, and what I have been doing here on my urban homestead supports this movement. Everyone can do it, even if the first step is an herb garden on your windowsill:

We need to take our families' economy and food security issues out of the hands of the corporations and control it ourselves, sustainably.

Locally grown cherries we picked ourselves

3 comments:

  1. Start a worm bin (Vermiculture for those who like big fancy words). Our thriving colony has been happy disposing of all kitchen leftovers and saving us from identity theft since 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Community-supported agriculture (which matches one of your points above) is another great option, especially for folks who live in cities or who have shady gardens. My family receives every-other-week shares of organic vegetables from April through November. And with an HMO rebate the cost is less than $200 for an entire season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!! Yes, CSA's and worm bins are both good things as well!

    ReplyDelete